• Home
  • Statistics
  • How Many Websites Are There Today? - and Other Website Statistics

How Many Websites Are There Today? - and Other Website Statistics

Updated: March 28,2022

Some of our stories include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, we may earn an affiliate commission.

The creation of the internet dates back to the ‘60s when a bunch of scientists were tasked with connecting a couple of computers into a network. However, the internet’s true “big bang” took place in the ‘90s, when the World Wide Web Consortium arrived on the scene.

Today, the internet is a collection of millions of websites where we get our news, do our shopping, watch movies, and - increasingly regularly - work. But how many websites are there? To answer that question and many more, we’ve compiled the following list of websites stats.

Website Statistics Key Findings
CERN created the first and second website.
The most recent website page count reveals that there are more than 1.7 billion pages online.
Despite that, only around 400 million websites are active.
As of Q1 2019, there were 351 million total domain registrations.
1% of every website on the internet appears on search engines. The other 99% belong to the deep web.
In 1995, the list of all websites revealed that there were only 23,500 websites.

How many webpages are there - stats and facts?

1. It seems like the oldest websites rarely change. Indeed, the oldest website in the world is itcorp.com, which dates back to 1986 and, believebu it or not, hasn't changed at all since then.

(Thought Catalog)

2. Both the first and second website ever were owned by CERN. The first one was named The World Wide Web project and the second was called World Wide Web Virtual Library


3. If you’ve ever wondered how many websites are there in the world? you should know that the number of webpages on the internet is continually increasing. According to Internet Live Stats, the total number of websites in the world is now more than 1.7 billion.

(Internet Live Stats)

4. Of those 1.7 billion websites, there are only 400 million websites active, meaning the other 1.3 billion are inactive.

(Hosting Tribunal)

5. The number of websites by year increased nearly every year until 2009. From 2018 to 2019, web site numbers increased by roughly 100 million.

(Internet Live Stats)


7. The US hosts 43% of all the websites in the world. Germany comes in second with China in third.

(Royal Pingdom)

8. As of Q1 2019, there was a total of 351 million domain registrations on the internet.


9. Recent website numbers show that in the third quarter of 2019, there have been 144 million dot com registrations ever. Recent stats about the number of websites by country show that .tk from Turkey has 25.1 million registrations, while the Chinese .cn has 23 million.


10. You might have asked yourself: How many websites exist thanks to Wordpress? The answer is a staggering 35% of all websites on the internet.


11. Google’s site numbers show that 40% of users will leave a site that takes longer than three seconds to load.

(Think With Google)

12. Only 1% of websites available are seen on search engines, while the other 99% of websites are on the deep web.


13. Just 0.1% of sites on the internet account for over 50% of web traffic.


14. For every website, users need just 0.05 seconds to form an opinion


15. If you’d asked yourself “How many websites are there?” in 1995, the answer would have been just 23,500.

(Royal Pingdom)


When was the internet born?

The ideas of connected wired networks date back to Nikola Tesla, but it wasn’t until the 1960s that American computer scientist Joseph Licklider came up with the concept of the intergalactic network and created ARPAnet. Through ARPANET, multiple computers were connected, and in 1969 the first communication between computers occurred. Over the years as technology advanced, the Internet Protocol (IP) and Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) were developed. ARPANET adopted that technology and started assembling the network that became the internet we know today. It was not until 1991 when Tim Berners-Lee invented the first website for CERN. The total number of sites in 1992 was just 10.

How many dating websites are there?

There are around 2,000 total dating sites in North America and 8,000 globally. The first dating site – Match.com – was founded in 1995 and is still regarded as the most popular dating site in the world. On the other hand, the most popular mobile dating app is Tinder.There are around 2,000 total dating sites in North America and 8,000 globally. The first dating site – Match.com – was founded in 1995 and is still regarded as the most popular dating site in the world. On the other hand, the most popular mobile dating app is Tinder.

How many websites are there on the deep web?

The internet is made of various sites, and only 1% of them appear on search engines, recent website statistics reveal. The rest of 99% of sites belong are hidden on the deep web and don’t appear in search engines.

How many active websites are there?

An active website is a site that allows business transactions to occur or information exchanged with customers. For example, an active site can take orders and purchases from users. The last active website count shows that there are around 400 million active sites. However, bear in mind that sites come and go by the second and not all are shown on search engines.

How many WordPress websites are there?

WordPress is one of the world’s original content management systems, based on the PHP and MySQL programming languages. Recent sites statistics reveal WordPress powers approximately 35% of all websites on the net. Or to put that in hard figures, there are 595 million sites that have content management systems powered by WordPress.

How many Amazon websites are there?

Amazon has 14 different sites for the US, UK, Spain, Netherlands, Mexico, Japan, Italy, India, Germany, France, China, Canada, Brazil, and Australia. Not every site has access to all Amazon products. The Dutch site, for example, only sells Kindle products; for other items, Dutch residents have to order through German Amazon. Additionally, not all products can be delivered to all countries, which is why every product page displays the eligibility of product delivery.

How many social media websites are there?

Well, there are hundreds, but only 20 are significant on a global scale. We’re talking about Facebook, YouTube, WhatsApp, WeChat, Instagram, QQ, Tumblr, Qzone, TikTok, Sina Weibo, Twitter, Reddit, Baidu Tieba, LinkedIn, Viber, Snapchat, Pinterest, Line, Telegram, and Medium. There are some local social sites, but they’re not big enough to make our list of all social websites.

How many websites are there today?

At the time of writing this article, there are precisely 1,745,137,692 live websites online. The number of websites until 2009 was increasing, but since then, it has fluctuated. By comparison, in 2000, there were only 17 million websites online, but by 2010 there were more than 206 million. In 2015 the number increased to 863 million, and by 2019 the total number of websites in the world had doubled to 1.7 billion, including the number of blogs. Note that, with the appearance of various free website builders that have enabled easy website creation, the number is expected to soar even higher.

Leave your comment

Your email address will not be published.


A true tech and gaming savant, Ivan has been fascinated by the digital world since the early days of gaming on antiques such as the ZX Spectrum and Commodore’s beloved Amiga. Whether you’re interested in the latest PC and console gaming news, antivirus software, or smartphone reviews, or simply want to learn about the newest geeky gadgets around, we at KT have you covered, and Ivan’s likely the one we’ll ask.

Selected 1 items
Clear All