How Many eCommerce Sites Are There?
Updated: March 29,2022
E-commerce sites changed the way people shop. As the internet became more widespread during the 2000s, early e-commerce companies like Amazon and eBay became giants over the years. Today the e-commerce industry is constantly expanding. But how many eCommerce sites are there? Believe it or not, there are more than 20 million.
And more and more eCommerce businesses are opening around the world every single day, and according to eCommerce stats, the industry is booming. If you are interested in knowing more about eCommerce stores and the industry in general, check out the eCommerce online shopping statistics below.
General eCommerce Statistics
If you’re wondering how many eCommerce sites are there in the world, you’re in the right place. By reading these e-commerce business stats, you’ll find out what’s going on in the industry, and where it’s headed.
1. By 2021 there will be more than 2 billion people buying goods and services through e-commerce shops.
2. India will rank first in eCommerce growth in the retail industry by 2023.
3. Global eCommerce companies’ revenue is predicted to reach more than $6 trillion by 2022.
4. By 2023 90.8% of all purchases will be conducted on retail websites.
5. The list of eCommerce websites is constantly changing because more are being created every day. Today there are more than 24 million eCommerce websites.
6. US website revenue estimates that eCommerce in the apparel and accessories niche will exceed $145.8 billion by 2023.
7. 27% of all fashion eCommerce traffic comes from the United States. Japan holds second place with 17.57% and Russia, third with 11.49%.
8. More than 70% of internet users in the EU shopped on eCommerce sites in 2019.
9. The US eCommerce growth for 2020 is projected to increase by $56.4 billion from last year, amounting to $600 billion in total revenue.
Amazon eCommerce Statistics
Amazon is the company that defined the modern eCommerce industry. It was founded back in 1994 by Jeff Bezos and it was one of the first e-commerce websites to sell products online. Since then slowly but surely it has become the largest online retailer in the world.
10. Worth $315.5 billion, Amazon is the richest company in the world, overtaking Apple and Google.
11. Recent eCommerce site rankings reveal that Amazon - one of the biggest companies in the world reigns supreme as one of the largest retailers in the US with 54.1% of the US eCommerce traffic share.
12. Amazon is the largest company in the world in eCommerce and has more than 80% in shares in many categories, including electronics (89.9%), home improvement (83.8%), food (81.8%), sport and fitness (89.6%), health and medicine (92%), and household essentials (88.8%).
13. Amazon has more than 12 million products available in its eCommerce stores.
14. Amazon sold over 175 million items during the 2019 Prime Day shopping event.
15. More than 150 million mobile users accessed the amazon app in September 2019.
16. 60% of the largest online retailers on Amazon come from the Home and Kitchen category.
17. For every dollar US customers spend on the eCommerce platform, Amazon only gets 49 cents.
(New York Times)
China eCommerce Statistics
China’s eCommerce scene is getting stronger each year. For that reason, we’ve chosen a few stats that show what direction their market is moving towards.
18. eMarketer's report about China online shopping sites reveal that by 2023 eCommerce sites will generate more than $4 trillion in revenue.
19. Online Chinese shopping sites are predicted to reach more than $1 trillion in revenue in 2020.
20. The largest profit generated by eCommerce businesses in China will come from the fashion industry - $348 billion in 2020.
21. People aged 25 to 34 years old will be the largest demographic of users in the Chinese eCommerce market with 33% of the market share.
22. This year nearly all eCommerce purchases in China will be domestic.
eBay eCommerce Statistics
As Amazon sits comfortably on the eCommerce throne, eBay still finds a way to make its mark on the market. eBay is one of the oldest and best eCommerce sites in the world. It works differently than Amazon but offers more flexibility with retailers and private sellers.
23. As one of the biggest online companies, eBay has more than 182 million global active buyers.
24. More than 70% of all traffic on eBay comes from the United States.
25. The eBay app is used by 34.9% of all mobile users in the United States.
26. 16.4% of items sold on eBay come from the Electronic and Accessories category.
27. There are more than 1.3 billion listings on eBay.
28. More than 80% of all goods on eBay are brand new.
29. eBay is the second-largest retailer in the US, with a market share of 23.7%.
Other Top eCommerce Sites Stats
While other eCommerce sites might not compare to Amazon, many of them have been retail sellers for years, the majority of their profit coming from their physical stores. But, they are slowly catching up to Amazon and eBay.
30. Bestbuy.com has an average monthly traffic count of 109 million visits.
31. Only 15% of BestBuy’s overall sales are online sales.
32. Home Depot managed to grow online sales from $500 million to $5 billion in just seven years.
33. According to Statista’s online shopping statistics, Home and Living is the most popular Etsy category with 26% of handmade sellers. Art and Collectibles is second with 21% and Jewelry comes in third with 16%.
34. 62% of all sales on Etsy are made within the United States, while international sales represent only 38%.
35. At $27.81 billion, Walmart's eCommerce sales grew by nearly 33% in 209.
36. H&M is not only one of the top retailing companies in the world, but it is also the number one fashion e-commerce business in the world with more than 67 million website visitors per month.
Frequently Asked Questions
The last report shows that there are more than 1.3 million companies that use e-commerce in the United States. However, if you exclude the marketplace resellers, there would be around 300,000. That number is projected to rise in the coming years as eCommerce businesses bring more profit than opening multiple retail stores.
According to Similar Web data, American users mostly shop on Sundays. The second most popular online shopping day is Monday. The research is based on both mobile and desktop devices, with a note that mobile shopping has increased significantly in the last couple of years.
British entrepreneur Michael Aldrich invented online selling in 1979. He connected a modified domestic TV via phone to a multi-user transaction computer. His discovery was mainly used for B2B companies from the UK, Spain, and Ireland.
Buying products online has become very common among many people in the world. Generally, people use online shopping because it’s easier and less time consuming than going to physical shops. On the other hand, some people find it easier because they can compare prices and buy the most affordable product online. Today there are more than 2.04 billion online shoppers. That number is projected to grow by 2.1 billion shoppers in 2021.
As you’ve guessed, Amazon is one of the world’s largest eCommerce companies. However, the top eCommerce companies don’t come only from the United States. Alibaba rules the Chinese market. On another note, where Amazon fails, eBay succeeds.
Recent reports show that Amazon has nearly 50% of the global eCommerce market share. In recent years, they have invested a lot – they bought Twitch and started their own streaming service Amazon Prime Video.
The eCommerce market has been expanding since 2009. In 2019 it reached $501 billion in revenue. According to Statista, the US eCommerce market in 2023 is projected to generate more than $750 billion.
Mobile devices are taking over the world. Statista projects that 42.9% of all US retail eCommerce will be done through mobile by 2020. That number is projected to increase to 54% by 2021. After all, shopping on mobile has never been easier. You can order anything with just a couple of clicks.
The United Kingdom. The UK is the biggest individual eCommerce spender – $4,021 per year per individual. Next comes the United States with $3,428, South Korea with $2,591, France $1,946 and China with $1,855.
Generation Z spends most of their income online. However, they don’t earn the same as Millennials who spend $2,000 annually on eCommerce sites. Generation X shoppers spend around $1,930 online and boomers spend less than $1,500.
According to Statista, eCommerce sales accounted for 14% of all retail sales globally and that number is projected to increase to 22% in 2023.
If you’re wondering how many eCommerce sites are there in the world this year, the answer would be that there are around 24 million eCommerce sites in the world, and every day there are new ones being created.
Your email address will not be published.
A true tech and gaming savant, Ivan has been fascinated by the digital world since the early days of gaming on antiques such as the ZX Spectrum and Commodore’s beloved Amiga. Whether you’re interested in the latest PC and console gaming news, antivirus software, or smartphone reviews, or simply want to learn about the newest geeky gadgets around, we at KT have you covered, and Ivan’s likely the one we’ll ask.