Artificial intelligence is poised to transform the way we live, from everyday tasks to complex, large-scale projects. Our future will be molded by machine learning and automated systems. These mind-warping artificial intelligence statistics are all you need to prepare you for the artificial intelligence revolution.
Key artificial intelligence facts, editor’s pick
- Chatbots are expected to cut business costs by $8 billion.
- About 15% of surveyed companies use AI, primarily for improving customer experience.
- The percentage of help-wanted ads requiring AI skills is 4.5 times higher than in 2013.
- The median salary for senior computer scientists and managers in machine learning is more than $127,000.
- Google’s deep learning prediction algorithm correctly diagnoses suspected tumors 89% of the time by analyzing medical heatmaps.
Artificial intelligence has come a long way since IBM introduced a mainframe that could play a competitive game of checkers. Today’s advanced AI systems are transforming the economy, culture, and even politics.
Current AI technology can be roughly divided into “weak” and “strong” AI. A perfect example of weak AI can be found in your living room in the form of smart speakers. Siri, Echo, and Alexa all have programmed responses to certain demands.
Strong AI, on the other hand, is the most important and interesting artificial intelligence technology today. Strong AI is the kind of AI featured in sci-fi movies. It aims to emulate the human cognitive process by grouping various concepts together in associational clusters. While strong AI has a long way to go before we see widespread use, there’s no doubt that it will profoundly change our lives once it passes the prototype stage.
All in all, scientists believe that the future scope of artificial intelligence will encompass almost all human activities. Here are some AI statistics to prepare you for the brave new world that lies ahead of us.
1. According to Gartner’s AI customer service statistics, chatbots will be responsible for 85% of customer service by 2020
Artificial intelligence is still far away from taking over sales jobs, but it has proved more than useful in the customer service department. Modern chatbots learn by trial and error and gradually improve their understanding of customers’ questions. Customer service is the first among many boring jobs that will be taken over by AI.
2. According to Crunchbase’s AI stats, more than 10,000 developers now work on building chatbots for Facebook Messenger.
Facebook has proved itself an excellent platform for businesses to share their products. In fact, many companies use Messenger as a dedicated customer service platform.
3. Juniper’s statistics about artificial intelligence say that chatbots could save businesses $8 billion.
Although many companies already outsource customer service and try to save money that way, the truth is, it’s still expensive. Thankfully, we’re not that far from a future where AI will handle almost all customer service.
Business and AI Statistics
4. An Adobe artificial intelligence report says that only 15% of surveyed companies use AI – primarily for improving customer experience.
However, the artificial intelligence statistics also reveal that 31% of those not currently using AI intend to use it within the next 12 months. In addition to improving CX through on-site personalization, companies also rely on AI and data to refine their marketing methods.
5. Start-up companies that use artificial intelligence have increased 14-fold in number since 2000.
The popularity of artificial intelligence has quite literally surged in the past two decades. With such impressive momentum, there’s no doubt we will see a huge supply of jobs in artifical intelligence. AI courses have increased ninefold in academia in the last 20 years. Enrollment in AI-related courses at Stanford has surged 4,500%.
6. The percentage of help-wanted ads requiring AI skills is 4.5 times higher than in 2013.
While it was believed that AI technology would be replacing humans in the workplace by now, causing widespread unemployment, the truth is quite the opposite. With more and more companies using AI, there will be a steady increase in demand for experts in the field.
7. The three most desired AI skills on Monster.com are machine learning, deep learning, and natural language processing
It’s also worth noting that the average machine learning manager makes a salary of $127,000 or more. Artificial intelligence experts earn an enviable salary.
8. 84% of company representatives believe that investing in AI can bring more competitive advantages.
In fact, according to Statista AI industry statistics, 75% believe that AI has the potential to open up new businesses. They think AI and business will be inseparable, especially when it comes to giving entrepreneurs a better foothold in existing markets. About 63% state that the shift to AI will be primarily driven by a desire to cut operating costs.
9. Forbes AI statistics state that 87% of early AI adopters say they are using or considering using AI for sales forecasting and improving email marketing.
In addition, 61% use artificial intelligence for market forecast purposes. AI can efficiently navigate the hectic world of international commerce by applying big data analysis and pattern recognition in real-time, enabling marketers to create valid long-term strategies. In fact, our most recent big data statistics from 2020 suggest that the data analytics software market rose by 14% from 2018 to 2019, with even higher increases expected in 2020.
10. 40% of business leaders believe AI will increase worker productivity.
Accenture’s AI work statistics say AI has the potential to double annual economic growth rates by 2035. In addition to financial gains, AI’s biggest potential lies in the fact that it can fundamentally change the nature of work and the relationship between humans and technology.
11. Global revenues from AI enterprise applications are expected to rise from $1.62 billion in 2018 to $31.2 billion in 2025.
Forbes statistics on artificial intelligence also state that over the next seven years, revenues from AI enterprise applications will attain a compound annual growth rate of 52.59%. AI IT operations statistics reveal that patient data processing, localization and mapping, predictive maintenance, and intelligent recruitment are the most common.
12. When asked to identify the next big marketing trend, marketers respond with consumer personalization (29%), AI (26%), and voice search (21%)
Statistics about the use of AI say that 46.92% of marketers identify AI as a tool for increasing effectiveness, while 42% are planning to use AI analysis in their content marketing strategy for the upcoming year. However, 42.25% of marketers say that fewer than 25% of the marketing technologies they use are based on AI. Nevertheless, marketing will be the main drive for AI market size growth in the next decade.
13. About one in five companies have incorporated AI in their services or offerings.
(MIT Sloan Management Review)
Although artificial intelligence is very popular with companies today, it’s a long way from ubiquitous. Only about 5% have incorporated AI extensively. About 50% of the largest companies – those with 100,000 or more employees – have an AI strategy.
AI Jobs and Careers Statistics
14. 40% of attendees at AI World say AI will force their companies to add more jobs.
(Dun & Bradstreet)
You often hear rumors about how scary artificial intelligence is or how advanced technology is taking over jobs. Statistics demonstrate otherwise. In fact, artificial intelligence development will only produce more and more demand for high-paid experts while at the same time automating obsolete jobs.
15. By 2020, AI will take over 1.8 million jobs, but it will generate 2.3 million more
AI will be replacing humans on some jobs, according to TechRepublic statistics. Although implementation of artificial intelligence might seem scary at this point, it will in fact create more opportunities for the expert workforce. Simply put, most of the white collar clerical jobs of today will be replaced by AI and AI experts.
16. World Economic Forum statistics about AI say that by 2022, AI will have taken over 75 million jobs, while creating another 133 million.
(World Economic Forum)
In addition, 59% of respondents believe their workplaces will be significantly altered by the latest artificial intelligence developments. Finally, 38% of respondents say they will be forced to open more creative and independent work roles to handle the growth of artificial intelligence.
17. The average machine learning engineer salary in the US is $169,930.
In the last couple of years, we’ve seen a dramatic rise of artificial intelligence jobs, particularly because of the high salary these jobs bring. While a little less than 170k a year is a quite satisfactory figure, AI salaries can even be higher depending on the job role and the candidate’s qualifications.
18. The average deep learning engineer salary ranges from approximately $80,887 per year for research scientist to $138,647 per year for senior positions.
The average deep learning salary is significantly lower than that of a machine learning engineer. The jobs are quite different. While deep learning specialists are mainly focused on neural networks, machine learning engineers create self-learning algorithms that help computers reach decisions through constant feedback loops and other mechanisms.
19. AI career stats from Indeed show that artificial intelligence job listings grew 29% from May 2018 to May 2019.
Every survey shows we can expect demand for AI jobs to continuing growing for five years or more. The relationship between AI and jobs is two-sided. AI systems are expected to replace come white-collar workers, but there will also be a lot of new careers in AI.
20. The worldwide chatbot market is expected to reach $1.25 billion by 2025.
Replacing real people with chatbots is one of the most pervasive trends in artificial intelligence technology. Job automation statistics from DigitalGO suggest that the trend will continue at a CAGR of 24.3%.
21. 60% of consumers say that they have communicated with a chatbot at least once during the past 12 months.
Landbot artificial intelligence statistics reveal say that 38% of customers interacted with chatbots, while only 28% of them engaged in a conversation with customer service agents through social media. While the current state of AI chatbots is still primitive, the bots are already useful in meeting some of the most basic customer demands.
22. 66% of millennials say the biggest benefit of chatbots is the 24-hour service they provide.
(Convince & Convert)
When asked about other benefits of chatbots, 61% said chatbots are useful because they respond immediately. C&C’s AI report states that baby boomers see “answering simple questions” as AI’s biggest benefit.
23. 15% of respondents reveal that they have used chatbots to communicate with businesses in the past 12 months.
Drift’s report on the usage of chatbot AI in business reveals that people still favor human interaction. After all, most of us are scared of automated processes and still need a piece of human advice when making decisions.
24. Asked about what would prevent them from using a chatbot, 30% of respondents say they are afraid the bot might make a mistake.
Drift’s artificial intelligence survey reveals that people are still wary of AI-based customer service, though chatbots are among the easiest current uses of artificial intelligence to implement and cost-justify. People need time and reassurance if they are to accept new technologies.
25. The statistics of AI taking over factory jobs in the US say that AI will take over 38% of jobs by 2030.
(Digital Information World)
One of the main consequences of AI growth will be the replacement of humans in many work positions. While the current status of artificial intelligence development is still far from that day, many researchers believe it is just a matter of time.
26. According to DIW’s artificial intelligence infographic, AI-powered autonomous vehicles could save 300,000 lives per decade.
(Digital Information World)
AI safety statistics claim that once AI-powered cars hit the streets, there will be a dramatic drop in traffic-related deaths. Some American cities have already started building smart roads and the infrastructure needed for AI-powered cars, but it remains to be seen whether self-driving cars will become a reality.
27. Zion statistics for healthcare AI market size say that the global market is expected to reach $17.8 billion by 2025.
(Zion Market Research)
Zion’s AI facts say the global AI healthcare market will sustain a CAGR of 43.8% from 2019 to 2025. While we can’t expect any robot surgeons due to the current state of artificial intelligence development, AI-enabled instruments and smart hospitals might prove to be a good first step. AI can improve diagnoses, keep track of patients’ conditions, and even support a personalized monitoring network for each individual patient.
28. Google AI statistics show that the company’s deep learning prediction algorithm correctly diagnoses suspected tumors 89% of the time by analyzing medical heatmaps.
For comparison’s sake, a team of expert pathologists gave a correct diagnosis only 73% of the time. AI machine learning VS human statistics consistently show that medical AI is getting better and better at recognizing diseases that human doctors can’t detect.
29. China and the USA are industry leaders in artificial intelligence.
Chinese government has recently declared that it will spend 150 billion by 2030 for the advancement of AI. In fact, Chinese experts are so invested in artificial intelligence that most of the latest developments and research papers come from that country. The USA, although still among artificial intelligence leaders, is slowly beginning to lose its footing due to reduced AI funding and stricter immigration policies.
30. eMarketer AI and translation localization statistics show that 41% of professional linguists believe that in the long run, artificial intelligence growth will mean less employment for them.
In addition, 34% think they’ll still have work, but with higher standards. On the other hand, 19% of linguists believe they’ll have more work than ever despite AI, and 16% of them think AI won’t influence their careers in any way.
What is artificial intelligence with examples?
Artificial intelligence is a computer science field that studies intelligence manifested by machines. It is quite a wide field of study, and it’s pretty much impossible to encompass all about AI in one sentence. Examples of AI-based technology include self-driving cars, smart homes, pattern-recognition systems, and any technology that uses deep learning.
What are the types of artificial intelligence?
There are two main types of AI: weak and strong. Weak AI is the main current trend in artificial intelligence, and we can find it in many everyday objects like voice search devices. Weak AI operates within the strict boundaries of its programming. Strong AI is built so that computers can learn through experience and offer creative new ways to solve problems.
What is an example of strong AI?
By definition, strong AI is an AI with intelligence equal to that of a human. We have not yet built strong AI, and the latest news on AI suggests that we are still far away from it. However, we do know that strong AI, if it ever appears, will have intelligence, creativity, and perhaps even consciousness similar to that of a human.
What are the disadvantages of artificial intelligence?
The biggest disadvantage of AI is the cost. Building and maintaining AI systems can prove quite expensive. Second, AI may leave lots of people without jobs. However, we can safely argue that this second factor is a myth, and there are a lot of articles on artificial intelligence that disprove it. Finally, leading ethicists and philosophers constantly warn against the abuse of AI.
Is Siri artificial intelligence?
Siri and other voice search devices can be classified as weak AI. Weak AI, also known as narrow AI, is a type of AI that is focused on one specific problem and acts according to its programming. In contrast, strong AI can use creative solutions on new problems and “think outside the box.”
What are the AI techniques?
Five main AI techniques are:
- Heuristics – learning through trial and error.
- Support vector machines – a technique that AI uses to create classifications on its own.
- Artificial neural networks – the experience is built based on strong and weak neural connections modeled on those in the human brain.
- Markov decision algorithms – AI chooses the best strategy based on outcomes.
- Natural language processing – primarily used for speech recognition.
What are the main components of artificial intelligence?
Five main components of AI are discovery, prediction, action, justification, and learning. In essence, AI’s “thought” process is modeled to mimic that of a human, and all the components that make up our thinking are emulated within AI.
How do I start learning artificial intelligence?
Before you’ll be able to start your artificial intelligence career and earn a huge salary, you need to have a solid base in math, IT, and statistics. Most AI experts have built their careers in academia, and there is currently a lack of qualified workers. Most people who start with AI are enticed by the big AI researcher salary, but it takes years and years of college education to become a proper AI expert.
Who is the founder of artificial intelligence?
Although the idea of an artificially constructed mind is as old as the first stories told around the campfire, John McCarthy is considered the field’s founding pioneer. McCarthy coined the term “artificial intelligence” and organized the first AI summit in Dartmouth in 1955.
Is AI different from machine learning?
Machine learning is just one branch of artificial intelligence. It is a study of computer algorithms that allow computer programs to automatically improve through experience. In other words, machine learning is just another way of building artificial intelligence.
We are years away from fully autonomous, conscious, and sapient machines like those in science-fiction movies. However, artificial intelligence statistics show that AI is already being used in ways that improve our lives and workspaces. From pattern recognition and self-driving vehicles to vastly powerful quantum computers, AI has the potential to lead humanity into a bright new era.